MANCHESTER, N.H. – Sophomores Jess Perkins (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Meghan Golden (Scituate, Mass.) did not lose a point in singles play as the Saint Anselm College women's tennis team defeated American International College, 8-1, Tuesday afternoon on Senior Day at the Saint Anselm Outdoor Tennis Courts.
- Perkins was a 6-0, 6-0 winner against Ana Paula Simoes at No. 1 singles, while Golden also earned a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 3 singles against Whitney McKay. Perkins and Golden combined for an 8-6 triumph against Simoes and Eleanna Fulop at No. 1 doubles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Yellow Jackets only played the match with four players, therefore sophomore Ashley Sulkin (Ipswich, Mass.) and freshman Tess Malerbi (Scituate, Mass.) won No. 3 doubles by default, giving Saint Anselm a 2-1 lead heading into singles play.
- Perkins and Golden took quick care of their opponents to make it 4-1, before senior Kathryn Rindo (Lowell, Mass.) grabbed a 6-0, 6-1 W at No. 4 singles against Callie Porcher to seal the match for the Hawks.
- Malerbi toppled Fulop, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 2 singles and then senior Leah Fitzgerald (Bedford, N.H.) and junior Katie Roberts (So. Windsor, Conn.) won their matches by default.
- Perkins, who is now 12-2 in singles play this season, is 16-1 at No. 1 singles since Oct. 4, 2014. She has also won 19 of 21 Northeast-10 No. 1 singles matches dating back to Sept. 14, 2014.
- The Hawks return to action Thursday, Oct. 8 at 2 p.m. when they take on Franklin Pierce University.