PHILADELPHIA – Sophomores Jess Perkins (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Meghan Golden (Scituate, Mass.) captured a trio of matches to earn the 2015 USTA/ITA East Region B Doubles Championship on Saturday at the Legacy Tennis Center.
- Perkins and Golden defeated Assumption College's Marie Black and Paige Benoit in the quarterfinal round, 6-2, and then reached the finals with another 6-2 win against crosstown rival Southern New Hampshire University's Yolanda Green and Kaitlin Poje. In the title bout, Perkins and Golden toppled Daemen College's Karli Hollins and Hayle Scanlan, 8-4, to be the last team standing of the 29 that began the tournament Saturday.
WHAT ELSE HAPPENED?
- Perkins, who had entered the day having won 16 of her previous 17 singles matches, fell in the round of 16 of the A singles competition as she lost to top-seeded Constanza Mecchi of Concordia (N.Y.) College, 6-3, 6-2. The loss snaps Perkins 12-match win streak in singles play that dated back to Oct. 4 of last season.
- Combining both singles and doubles play, Perkins, who is a perfect 8-0 in doubles and 5-1 in singles this season, is a red-hot 23-3 since Oct. 4, 2014.
- The Hawks are back in action Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 3 p.m. when they travel to take on Merrimack College.
- Saint Anselm returns home Saturday, Sept. 26 at 1 p.m. when it plays host to the College of Saint Rose.
Stay up-to-date with the latest news, including game previews and recaps, directly from the Saint Anselm College athletic department by liking us on Facebook and following us on Twitter @STAHawks.