PHILADELPHIA – Sophomore Jess Perkins (Shrewsbury, Mass.) won a pair of singles A matches and teamed with fellow sophomore Meghan Golden (Scituate, Mass.) for two more B doubles wins at the USTA/ITA East Region Championship on Saturday at the Legacy Tennis Center.
- Perkins opened the singles portion of the tournament with a 6-2, 6-0 victory against Daemen College's Karli Hollins and then advanced to the round of 16 with a 6-0, 6-1 win against Victoria Quang from the University of the Sciences. Perkins has now won 12 straight singles matches and 16 of 17 dating back to last year.
- Perkins and Golden, who received a bye into the round of 16, moved forward to the quarterfinals with an 8-0 blanking of Daemen's Delaney Fragale and Sarah Crissy.
WHAT ELSE HAPPENED?
- Golden bowed out in the opening round of the B singles tournament with an 8-4 loss to Post University's Brianna Miah. Sophomore Ashley Sulkin (Ipswich, Mass.) also went out in the first road with an 8-0 defeat against Assumption College's Aubrey Lovejoy, as did freshman Tess Malerbi (Scituate, Mass.), who was edged by Goldey-Beacom College's Merel Ann van Zanten, 9-7.
- Sulkin and Malerbi advanced from the first round of the B doubles tourney with an 8-6 triumph against USciences' Elkanah Linder and Jillyan Serrano before being forced out with an 8-1 loss to Daemen's Hollins and Hayle Scanlan.
- Combining both singles and doubles play, Perkins, who is a perfect 5-0 in both singles and doubles this season, is a red-hot 20-2 since Oct. 4, 2014.
- Perkins will face Concordia (N.Y.) College's Costanza Mecchi in the round of 16 Sunday, while Perkins and Golden will meet up with familiar foes in Assumption's Marie Black and Paige Benoit.
- The Hawks are back in action Sunday, Sept. 20 for Day 2 of the USTA/ITA East Region Championship