Goffstown, N.H. (April 21)-The sixth seeded Saint Anselm women's tennis team fell just short of upsetting the number three seeded Southern N.H. Penmen in the Northeast-10 tournament on Tuesday afternoon at the Goffstown Y.M.C.A. The 5-4 loss ends the Hawks season, while the Penmen will move onto the NE-10 semifinals where they will travel to Bentley on Thursday.
The Hawks took the number two and three doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead into the singles matches.
Erika Sartor (Andover, Mass.) and Erin Sullivan (Chelmsford, Mass.) won number three and five singles respectively to force a 4-4 tie going into the last match.
The day came down to the number six singles match between the Hawks Amanda Brahm (Marlborough, Conn.) and SNHU's Meghan Welch (Mount Vernon, N.H.). Brahm won the first set 6-1, but dropped the next two sets 6-3, 6-3 for the 5-4 loss.
Northeast-10 Women's Tennis Championship -
Southern New Hampshire 5, Saint Anselm 4
1) Chandronnait/Echeverry (SNH) def. Nason/Sartor (STA) 8-3
2) Lindermuth/Dalrymple (STA) def. Nigrelli/Waring (SNH) 8-5
3) Kandi Winchenbach/Mary Mindek (STA) def. Blais/Welch (SNH) 9-7
1) Amber Chandronait (SNH) def. Laura Nason (STA) 6-0, 6-2
2) Catalina Echeverry (SNH) def. Virginia Dalrymple (STA) 4-6, 6-0, 6-0
3) Erika Sartor (STA) def. Lauren Nigrelli (SNH) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
4) Alison Waring (SNH) def. McAul Lindermuth (STA) 6-2, 6-4
5) Erin Sullivan (STA) def. Courteney Blais (SNH) 6-0, 6-3
6) Meghan Welch (SNH) def. Amanda Brahm (STA) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3