MANCHESTER, N.H. – In anticipation of the 20th season of modern-day varsity football at Saint Anselm College in 2018, the Hawks football team has announced that more than 18 student-athletes will be joining the roster this fall.
Head Coach Joe Adam enters his third season with Saint Anselm in 2018 and has worked in tandem with his assistant coaches and the admission, financial aid and residence life staffs on the Hilltop to produce a freshman class hailing from 10 different states. In addition to fielding a quality on-field product, Adam and his staff's recruiting reach has expanded the brand of athletics and academics at Saint Anselm to a national scale.
"I am thrilled to be adding these men to our 'Brotherhood' this fall," remarked Adam. "They will complement our current roster as we continue to build our program with high achievers in the classroom and on the field. We were able to add some key pieces at positions of need and, like the current student-athletes in the program, they will have a chance to compete right away."
Adam was especially impressed with the academic credentials of his new incoming class.
"I think our 'brotherhood' and our combination of high academics and job placements was a major factor in these men joining us for their football careers," said Adam. "During the recruiting process, we were in search of those that possess a 'blue collar mentality' – those unique individuals who will excel socially, academically and athletically," said Adam. "We expect our recruits to serve the Anselmian community in a first-class manner."
A full list of newcomers to the program, including a comment from Adam, reads as follows.
- Nasir Adams – DL – Orange, N.J. – "Nasir is a young man that has both explosion and twitch. His ability to make plays in the backfield and pressure the quarterback are welcome additions to the program."
- Mac Barry – OL – Malvern, Pa. – "Mac is a physical, aggressive player on the offensive line. He will fit in well with our group and his upside is high."
- Michael Boucher – DL – Milford, N.H. – "Mike is a smart, physical player who has an excellent skill-set. He is a local prospect we targeted early on and we are thrilled to have him join our program."
- Clency Chance – DB – High Point, N.C. – "We met Chance this past summer and knew he could become an impact player for us. He never left the field during his senior campaign and he will be great addition to our backfield."
- Perrin Conant - QB - Portland, Maine - "Perrin as a tall athlete with good decision-making at the quarterback position. We look forward to developing him in camp."
- Kellen Dyer - LS - Post Falls, Id. - "Kellen is one of the top long snappers in the west. He will be a welcome addition to the Hawks specialists group."
- Collin Ende - QB - Sykesville, Md. - "Collin is an athletic quarterback who can make all of the throws. We look forward to having him join our quarterbacks group."
- Aidan Gillis – DE – Marblehead, Mass. – "Aidan has a solid bloodline as his brother, Liam, has been one of our most consistent players during my time here. He is a great talent that we are excited to coach this fall."
- Brian Gomez – WR – Winter Park, Fla. – "Brian is a great slot receiver that will fit perfectly into our offense. His explosive speed and return capabilities will help us going forward."
- Cameron Gonyea – DB – Cartersville, Ga. – "Cameron is an overall great athlete that can play multiple positions. His enthusiasm for our program is infectious and we are proud to add a player of his caliber to the roster."
- James Hanafin – LB – Bridgewater, Mass. – "James is a solid run stopper who will bring grit and toughness to our defense. We are excited about his addition to our program."
- Ryan Hanson - OL - Hampton Falls, N.H. - "Ryan is a force in the trenches and plays with some nastiness. We are eager to add someone to our roster with his skill set."
- Jason Hope – ATH – Bergenfield, N.J. – "Jason is a long athlete that showed tremendous playmaking ability on both sides of the ball as a senior. He is another New Jersey product we are excited about on our roster."
- Zion Hughes – OL – East Orange, N.J. – "Zion comes to Saint Anselm from a perennial power in New Jersey. He gets blocks and finishes and we loved that about his film."
- Brian Kosicki – OL – Franklin, Mass. – "Brian has competed for USA football and he was identified as a key prospect by us this summer. He is a smart player with great upside."
- Seth Kourtesis – LB – Tiverton, R.I. – "Seth played multiple positions at Tabor Academy and he is a player that is passionate about the game. I expect him to come in and set a tone right away on our team."
- Sean LaVallee – WR – Carver, Mass. – "Sean is a long outside wide receiver from Massachusetts and we are excited to add him to our offense. He has great ball skills and runs excellent routes."
- Bobby Long - WR/DB - Bridgewater, Mass. - "Bobby is an athletic player who has tremendous upside. He will help us at the skill positions."
- Christian Matthew-Byrd – RB – Saddle Brook, N.J. – "His cutting and vision is very good and we are excited to add an athlete of his caliber to our roster."
- Matthew Mitchell – WR – Staten Island, N.Y. – "Matt is a long outside receiver from New York that has great ability on tape and ability to stretch the defense. He is a very driven player and I am excited about his future development in our program."
- Yasin Peppers – DB – Newark, N.J. – "Yasin is a fantastic hard-hitting player who has a very mature and serious nature about him. He is extremely driven and I am looking forward to his development."
- Jamal Peterson – DB – Glen Burnie, Md. – "Jamal is a long corner with great cover skills. He has the ability to go up and get the ball and finish plays."
- Damien Williams – LB – Fort Washington, Md. – "Damien is a great run stopper and blitzer. He has a great athletic ability and we expect him to bring that edge to our defense this fall."
"I want to first thank our coaches and current student-athletes for their relentless work ethic in identifying the exact fit for our program and, most importantly, the College. Furthermore, there are many individuals that work behind the scenes in offices across campus to help us yield a quality recruiting class," said Adam.
Adam acknowledged the efforts of Kenneth Walker, the Director of the Academic Resource Center, and other faculty members for their involvement with the football program, giving their time to meet with prospective students on campus visits. The coaching staff was also thankful for the continued support of Daron Montgomery, the institution's Director of Athletics, and President Dr. Steven DiSalvo for their continued support of student-athletes and coaches in their pursuit of excellence.