MANCHESTER, N.H. – Freshman QB Eric Fairweather (Londonderry, N.H.) ran for 105 yards and three touchdowns, but special teams play doomed the Saint Anselm College football team as it suffered a 51-19 Homecoming loss to Assumption College on Saturday afternoon at Grappone Stadium.
- Fairweather ran 18 times for the career-best 105 yards and became the third player ever in program history with three rushing touchdowns. Fairweather was also 17-for-35 for 188 yards and did not turn the ball over.
- Junior WR Zach Bartak (Greenfield, Mass.) caught six passes for 110 yards.
- Senior RB Elad Covaliu (Rockville, Md.) put up 150 all-purpose yards, highlighted by his 23 carries for 98 yards.
- Junior LB Josh Garrett (Rivieria Beach, Fla.) tallied eight tackles, including 1.0 for a loss.
For the foes…
- Deonte Harries racked up a game-high 183 all-purpose yards as he caught eight passes for 79 yards and a touchdown, in addition to 104 kick return yards and a return for a score.
- QB Brendan Tobey was 19-for-29 for 154 yards and three passing touchdowns.
- RB Alex Shain rushed for 103 yards on 19 carries.
- DB Jarrod Casey amassed 16 tackles, including 3.0 for a loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Assumption came out and scored on its first three series as they originally set the tone with a 10-play, 77-yard drive that was capped with an Ashton Grant 1-yard touchdown rush at the 9:27 mark of the first quarter.
- The Greyhounds then took advantage of a short field after they blocked a Saint Anselm punt and polished off a three-play, 30-yard drive with a 7-yard touchdown scamper from James Ward.
- Assumption made it an even 17-0 through one quarter of play with a Cole Tracy 38-yard boot at the 0:59 mark.
- After Saint Anselm's first four drives ended in punts, Fairweather put the Hawks on the board with 7:06 remaining in the second stanza as he engineered a 13-play, 70-yard drive that he capped with his own 9-yard running score. Freshman K/P Daniel Parisi (Georgetown, Mass.), in for the banged up senior Shane Grayson (Ormond Beach, Fla.), added the extra point to make it 17-7.
- Following a Tracy 39-yard field goal that pushed the Assumption lead to 20-7 with 2:43 left in the half, Fairweather again found the end zone – this time from 70 yards out – to pull Saint Anselm within 20-13 with 1:28 remaining. Parisi would miss the extra point.
- The Greyhounds responded just 13 seconds later as Harris raced 87 yards on the kickoff return to make it 27-13 at the break.
- Harris opened the second-half scoring with a 14-yard touchdown grab that nudged the lead to 34-13 with 10:23 remaining in the third quarter.
- Assumption then broke the game open as it scored on three of its next five possessions, with all three scores coming off special teams fumbles, to open the advantage to 51-13 with 10:38 left in the fourth quarter.
- The Hawks closed the scoring at the 7:35 mark when Fairweather closed a 12-play, 73-yard drive with a 3-yard touchdown jaunt that made it 51-19 before another missed PAT from Parisi.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Junior RB Joe Hayman (Brandywine, Md.) rushed for 63 yards on 13 carries.
- Freshman WR Kyle Hill (Upper Marlboro, Md.) made six catches for 39 yards.
- Saint Anselm outgained Assumption by more than 100 yards, 429-317, including 241-163 on the ground and 188-154 through the air.
- The Greyhounds scored 34 points off special teams plays, including two blocked punts, a fumbled snap on a punt, two fumbled punt returns and a kick return for a touchdown.
- Assumption gained three takeaways and did not turn the ball over.
- The Greyhounds were a perfect 5-for-5 in the red zone, while Saint Anselm was 2-for-3.
- The Saint Anselm defense held Assumption to 5-for-15 on third-down conversions, while the offense itself was 11-for-21 in the same situations.
- The Hawks return to action Saturday, Oct. 10 at 1 p.m. when they travel to take on Bentley University.
- Saint Anselm is back home Saturday, Oct. 24 at noon when it plays host to Southern Connecticut State at Grappone.