Men’s Lacrosse Rally Falls Short in 13-12 Loss to Mercy

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Andrew Messner (Wakefield, R.I.) scored four goals and added an assist for five points as the Saint Anselm College men's lacrosse team fell to Mercy College, 13-12, Tuesday afternoon at Grappone Stadium for non-conference action.

With the loss, the Hawks dip to 4-9, while the Mavericks improve to 9-4.

After Mercy netted its first goal of the game for a 1-0 lead 1:02 into play, Jake Stokes (Beverly, Mass.) netted the equalizer for Saint Anselm at the 12:25 mark. The Mavericks then scored four straight to close the first, making it a 5-1 game.

While on the extra-man advantage, Andy Budz (Williamstown, Mass.) found the back of the net two minutes into the second quarter, before Mercy's Bobby McDonough put the Mavericks back up four at 6-2.

Messner and Charles Geraghty (Etna, N.H.) each recorded a tally for Saint Anselm, putting them within two, but another Mercy goal pushed the lead back to three and closed scoring in the second.

To open the second half, the Mavericks scored two additional goals, both with an extra man, for their greatest lead of the game. Saint Anselm rallied to score two goals of its own, starting at the 10:14 mark, from Messner and Geoff Kennedy (Gloucester, Mass.).

After another Mercy goal with 5:34 reaming in the third, Ryan Mee (Medway, Mass.) potted his first of the contest to put Saint Anselm within three at 10-7.

The Hawks, outscored the Mavericks 5-3 in the final frame, but that wouldn't be enough to pull off the win.

Mercy struck 1:10 into play, before Saint Anselm's Kennedy and Messner each registered a goal past Mercy goalkeeper A.J. Pellati to move the Hawks back within two.

A Maverick goal at 10:45 continued back and forth action, before Messner's fourth and final goal of the game made it a 12-10 game. Jake Mallinson (Middletown, R.I.) teamed up with Ben Warren (Georgetown, Mass.) with 6:28 remaining in the game to put the Hawks within one, however, McDonough extended the Maverick lead back to two with his score at 5:22.  

Mee potted the final Hawk goal with 2:55 remaining, while Saint Anselm was on the extra-man advantage, but that was all the Hawks could muster. Kennedy was credited with an assist on the final goal of the game.

O'Reilly stopped 10 of 23 shots, while Pellati made eight saves. Matthew Steele (Ipswich, Mass.) was dominant on faceoffs for Saint Anselm, winning 20 of 27 and grabbing 14 groundballs.

Saint Anselm held the 42-32 edge in shots and caused seven turnovers. The Hawks were 4-9 with the extra player, while the Mavericks were 3-6 on extra-man opportunities.

The Hawks return to action Saturday, April 27 at 1 p.m. when they play host to Saint Rose for senior day at Grappone Stadium. Stay up-to-date with the latest news, including game previews and recaps, directly from the Saint Anselm College athletic department by liking us on Facebook ( and following us on Twitter (